Dennis Sandoval – Project Manager
Say hello to Dennis Sandoval! Dennis is a Project Manager at Watchtower Security and a valued team member!
- Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your role at the company?
I was born and raised in Houston, Texas, and have lived here all my life. I became a Houston Police Officer at the young age of 20 and was in law enforcement for 23 years. During my career, I had the privilege of working with many community leaders, protecting dignitaries, and spending several years in schools teaching a drug awareness program called the D.A.R.E. program. During my time with the department, I received many awards and a Crime Prevention Certification, this allowed me to survey citizens’ homes and apartment complexes on best practices for securing their homes and businesses and staying safe from crime. I also sang professionally in a gospel quartet called “The Peacemakers” for the police department. for over 10 years. I have 3 kids and 4 grandbabies.
Following my tenure with the police department, I proceeded into Security management where I managed several books of business, most notably, overseeing the security for the Houston Texans football team and the city of Houston’s many facilities. In 2019 I became a Project Manager for Watchtower Security.
- How long have you been a part of the Watchtower Security team, and what initially drew you to this company?
This December will be my 4th year with the company. Naturally, with my background in community service, my position with Watchtower aligned right with my experience in public safety.
- What path did you take to get to your current role?
Ironically my professional career has been in public safety.
- Are there any pivotal moments or experiences that have shaped your career trajectory?
Yes, in my years in law enforcement, I was placed in many leadership roles that helped me in my management skills.
- What does your typical day at Watchtower look like?
Being a Project Manager with Watchtower calls for a lot of different hat-wearing each day. From managing subcontractors, Map adjustments, Traveling to designated site locations, ordering materials, and communicating with our clients before during, and after the installation of Watchtower equipment.
- How do your responsibilities contribute to the overall goals and success of the company?
Project Management touches almost every department within Watchtower. Accounts Payable/Receivable, Sales, Service. Communication within these departments is critical to the success of our reputation as a company.
- What’s your approach to tackling new challenges or projects?
Hit the challenge head-on and never shy away.
- How do you collaborate with other team members or departments to achieve common goals?
It is NOT an option on whether or not to communicate with other departments regarding a project. Communication is key to the success of any project.
- What do you believe makes a successful and cohesive team, and how do you contribute to that dynamic?
“No man left behind” mentality.
- Are there any skills or areas of expertise that you’re currently working to develop or improve?
More Knowledge of CCTV basics and OSHA knowledge.
- How does the company support your ongoing learning and professional growth?
The company encourages continuing education that benefits me in performing my job with best practices.
- Outside of work, what are some of your hobbies or interests?
I love wine tasting and trying new scotches or cognacs with a good cigar.
- How do you balance your personal passions with your professional life?
Sometimes, depending on the workload, Work can sometimes overshadow personal life but you learn to readjust and manage both equally.
- Is there a particular quote, book, or piece of advice that resonates with you and influences your approach to work and life?
Throughout my life, there have been many great friends who have mentored me in this journey. I am a Christian man, and I hold close to the quotes of the bible, one in particular Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God” always gives me peace and reassurance.
I had a police sergeant who always encouraged me by always saying “Sandoval, you never give up a sure thing for a maybe” I live by those words every day. And of course “No Man Left Behind”
- What do you enjoy most about the company culture here?
I love how the company encourages unity and camaraderie.
- Where do you see yourself in your career within the company in the next few years?
I love what I do, so I plan on doing it for as long as I can.
- Are there any goals or projects you’re excited about working on in the future?
Every new project is exciting for me because I get to see it from a map perspective to a finished product and have the client happy with our work.